The Iowa Corn Collegiate Advisory Team (CAT) assists the Iowa Corn Growers Association (ICGA) and the Iowa Corn Promotion Board (ICPB) in developing programs that target and enhance Iowa Corn’s relationship with those individuals who are pursuing careers in agricultural production and allied industries.
Who We Are: CAT is made up of Iowa students pursing degrees in agriculture, including one representative from each college and university listed below, and five students from Iowa State University. Two additional positions on the team are reserved for students in non-ag disciplines at any accredited Iowa college or university.
Why It's Important: The future of Iowa Corn depends on the organization’s ability to offer relevant programming, advocacy and services to new stakeholders entering Iowa’s agricultural sector. CAT helps us develop programs and resources that are helpful and relevant to students who are pursuing careers in Iowa’s agriculture industry.
- Engage with collegiate members of ICGA and create a presence on Iowa college campuses.
- Increase awareness and appreciation for the role and impact of Iowa Corn and the agriculture industry in terms of local, national and global economic impacts.
- Select and develop appropriate program components for ongoing student programs.
- Distribute funding among various student organizations using criteria developed by CAT.
- Assist with the development of Iowa Corn student and youth outreach programs.
- Create and develop future leaders for Iowa Corn and the agriculture industry.
TEAM MEMBER REQUIREMENTS:
- Attend three sessions (November 14-15, 2019; January 23-24, 2020; March 27, 2020) during the year, as well as other Iowa Corn activities as determined by staff and CAT (as student schedules permit).
- Be available via email and by phone during the year for team discussions.
- Prepare as needed for CAT sessions.
- Be willing to consider new ideas and experiences.
CAT members may also be asked to attend various Iowa Corn activities such as:
- Iowa Corn committee and board meetings
- ICGA Annual Meeting
- ICGA Day on the Hill
In addition, qualifying CAT members will be invited to travel with the Iowa Corn delegation to the National Corn Growers Association (NCGA) Commodity Classic (February 26-February 29, 2019) in San Antonio, Texas.
HOW MUCH IT COSTS:
The costs associated with CAT programming, meals, travel and lodging will be paid for by ICPB and ICGA. CAT Members will be reimbursed for approved expenses incurred due to team activities, and will also receive a $200 scholarship for participating in the program.
WHO CAN APPLY:
Any college student who has completed high school and is enrolled in an agriculture program at one of the following colleges and universities may submit an application to be an Iowa Corn CAT member:
- Buena Vista University
- Des Moines Area Community College
- Dordt College
- Muscatine Community College
- Ellsworth Community College
- Graceland University
- Hawkeye Community College
- Indian Hills Community College
- Iowa Central Community College
- Iowa Lakes Community College
- Iowa State University (5 students)
- Iowa Western Community College
- Kirkwood Community College
- North Iowa Area Community College
- Northeast Iowa Community College
- Northwestern College
- Morningside College
- Southeastern Community College
- Southwestern Community College
- Western Iowa Tech Community College
One student will be selected to represent each of the schools listed above, except for Iowa State University, which will be represented by a maximum of five students.
In addition, two students working toward non-agriculture degrees at any accredited college or university in Iowa will be chosen.
For More Information, Contact:
Leadership Development Manager, Iowa Corn
5505 NW 88th Street, Johnston, IA 50131
(515) 225-9242 | email@example.com