Posted on October 22, 2013 at 7:00 AM by Iowa Corn
Let’s start with the fundamentals of food safety
. These basic rules can help prevent the majority of foodborne illnesses.
- A Clean Start. Before you start, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds under warm water. Clean countertops, knives, utensils…any surfaces that contact food during preparation to prevent foodborne bacteria from spreading. Rinse and repeat. Often.
- Divide and Conquer. Separate meat, poultry and seafood from other foods to prevent contamination. Keep them separate.
- The 2-Hour Rule. Always refrigerate perishable foods within two hours to prevent foodborne bacteria from growing. The 1-Hour Rule: When outdoor temperatures exceed 90 F, refrigerate perishable items within one hour.
- You Can’t See Done. Proper cooking kills bacteria that may cause illness. Use a thermometer to ensure food is safe. Unsure of the right temperature? Reference the chart below.
- The Food Safety Mantra: When in doubt, throw it out.