Posted on April 30, 2012 at 9:50 AM by Iowa Corn
On Friday April 20, Iowa Corn joined The Big Show at the FFA Enrichment Center to plant an acre of corn that you will be able to watch grow via the 2012 DMACC Corn Cam! Governor Branstad and Secretary of Agriculture, Bill Northey were also guests on the show.
|The Big Show hosts Bob Quinn and Mark Pearson
interview Governor Branstad and Secretary Northey.
You can watch the acre of corn grow all summer long at: http://www.whoradio.com/pages/dmacccorncam.html?_showDid You Know?
- An acre of corn is about as big as a football field.
- In 2011, Iowa corn farmers grew almost 2.3 billion bushels of corn on 13.7 million acres.
- For 2012, Iowa corn farmers are expected to plant 14.6 million acres of corn!
- One bushel of corn converts to about 5.6 pounds of retail beef, 13 pounds of retail pork, 28 pounds of catfish, or 32 pounds of chicken.
- AND, one bushel of corn used in ethanol production produces 2.7 gallons of ethanol AND 17 pounds of animal feed in the form of dried distillers grains.