Posted on February 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM by Iowa Corn
We are starting a regular feature on our blog called “Farm Family Recipe”. It seems that just about every Iowa farm family has a go to “best” recipe that has been handed down from generation to generation. These recipes are an important part of every family’s tradition and we are excited to feature some of them on our blog.
3 pounds tart apples
1 pie crust
1 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel, core and slice apples. Mix sour cream, egg, sugar, flour, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Add the sliced apples and toss to coat evenly.
3. Place the pie crust in the bottom of a pie pan. Pour the apple mixture into the pie crust.
4. In another bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender. Sprinkle topping over the pie filling.
5. Bake for 45 minutes to one hour.
6. Serve hot or let cool and refrigerate and serve cold (both ways are delicious!). Enjoy!