Posted on July 7, 2011 at 8:47 AM by Iowa Corn
Sometimes they say that Iowa is know for pigs and corn. And that might be true but we couldn't be more prouder of having the pork industry here in Iowa! They are an important customer for many corn farmers and there are many corn farmers who also raise hogs.
Here are some Iowa Pork industry facts from www.iowapork.org.
At the end of 2008, Iowa had 8,300 hog operations.
- At any one time, there are approximately 19 million pigs being raised in Iowa.
- Approximately 30 million hogs are raised in Iowa each year.
- Iowa producers marketed more than 37 million hogs in 2008.
- The U.S. pork industry marketed more than 121 million hogs in 2008.
- Iowa is the number one pork producing state in the U.S. and the top state for pork exports.
Iowa Pork Production Economic Contributions:
- The Iowa pork industry generates nearly $950 million in household income for pork producers.
- More than 39,000 jobs are directly related to raising and caring for hogs in Iowa.
- Iowa pork production alone contributes nearly $5 billion to the Iowa economy.
- Several billion dollars are generated in the state each year from pork processing activities.
- The total value added by Iowa pork producers to the state is more than $2.5 billion