Trait Development – Nitrogen Use Efficiency
Nitrogen fertilizer has become more expensive in recent years adding significant cost to corn production. The Gulf Hypoxic Task Force and the Iowa Nutrient Reduction Strategy have called for a 45 percent reduction in fertilizer in the water.
The key objectives of this research are to:
- Increase corn yield using the same amount of nitrogen
- Achieve the same yield using less nitrogen
- Utilize ICPB proprietary genes to commercialize new traits
- Reduce the cost of production by improving nitrogen use efficiency
- Improve the environmental footprint of crop production