TOP 10 ETHANOL FACTS
1. Global ethanol production and use is estimated to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions by 100 million metric tons in 2012, according to energy experts. This is equivalent to taking 20.2 million vehicles off the road.
2. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, each gallon of corn ethanol today delivers as much as 230% more energy than is used to produce it.
3. Ethanol production requires less water than gasoline; by a 3 to 1 margin.
4. With 13.3 billion gallons of domestic ethanol production, the U.S required 476 million fewer barrels of imported oil in 2013.
5. The U.S imports approximately 35% of its petroleum needs today. This number is down significantly since the rise of the ethanol industry.
6. Iowa leads the nation in ethanol production, creating nearly 30% of all ethanol.
7. The ethanol Industry supports around 55,000 jobs in Iowa and accounts for $5 billion of Iowa’s GDP.
8. Iowa’s ethanol industry can produce more than 3.8 billion gallons annually, using more than 1.3 billion bushels of corn.
9. A modern dry-mill ethanol refinery produces approximately 2.8 gallons of ethanol and 17.5 pounds of highly valuable feed co-products (distillers’ grains) from one bushel of corn.
10. The U.S Environmental Protection Agency has approved E15 for 2001 and newer cars and trucks. E15 is one of the most tested fuel blends in history.
ETHANOL TALKING POINTS
Click Here to print off ethanol talking points.
A new study by Informa Economics entitled “Analysis of the Potential Use of Biofuels toward the Renewable Fuel Standard in 2014” shows the originally intended Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) 2014 blending requirements can be reached through expanded consumption of E85 and E15, as well as judicious use of carryover RIN credits. Click here to learn more about the study.
Reliable Sources for Information